Should I Rent or Buy Lift Chairs - Tips for the Mobility Challenged
If you (or a loved one) suffer from mobility issues, adapting the home to satisfy those additional requirements should be at the very top of your agenda. As far as the living room is concerned, lift chairs are the most popular investment of all. One of the big dilemmas, however, is deciding whether to buy or rent the product.
Here’s everything you need to know about lift chair recliners to make a calculated decision.
Is a Lift Chair Right for You?
Lift chair recliners are specialized seats that utilize a powerlifting mechanism to return the user to a standing position. They can be used to help lower individuals from a standing position to a seated one or to lift them back up when they wish to move to another part of the home.
Due mainly to increasing life expectancy (although added accessibility has helped), the lift chair market has grown at a rapid rate in recent years and is expected to be worth more than $10 billion in North America alone by 2025.
The simple design has the potential to provide life-changing benefits for those that need it. If you (or your loved one) suffer from any of the following, lift chair recliners can help:
- Severe Arthritis
- Back Pains and Troubles Bending Over
- Balance Issues, Particularly When Moving from One Height to Another
- Neuromuscular Disease
- Stiff and Sore Joints
Necessarily, anyone that struggles to get in and out of their standard living room chair may wish to consider an upgrade. But is it better to buy or rent?
Lift Chair Investments: Purchases Versus Rentals
To buy or not to buy, that is the question.
As with all consumers' decisions that influence your health and daily comfort, you must weigh up the pros and cons of all possible solutions. Both solutions are readily available from a range of lift chair recliner stores. Here are the factors to consider:
Renting Lift Chairs
Lift chair rentals are a popular option for a host of reasons and can be viewed as a smaller financial liability. After all, they can often be rented on a month-to-month basis or every quarter, which can seem the best answer for senior citizens and their families.
Rental lift chairs are traditionally available in the same models as bought lift chair recliners, making it possible for users struggling with mobility issues due to age, obesity, or health conditions to find a suitable product.
Lift Chair Rentals – The Pros
- A smaller initial outlay, often as low as one month’s deposit and the first month’s rental.
- Easy to switch to a new model should personal requirement change.
- Can cancel the agreement should the lift chair recliner no longer be needed.
- The chance to enjoy a premium product when budgets can’t afford to purchase one.
- Will be able to upgrade to newer models as technology improves.
Lift Chair Rentals – The Cons
- May cost more in the long run, primarily if the product is used for several years.
- There’s a strong possibility that the item has been used before, which could impact comfort and hygiene.
- The owner may ask for the product back at some stage.
- Any damage caused to the product will be your financial liability.
- Have to settle for an ‘as made’ model rather than a customized model.
Buying Lift Chairs
Purchasing lift chair recliners open the door to the biggest range of models on the market, not least because you can customize and personalize the product to suit your needs. After all, it will be your property. If you have special requirements, this can be hugely rewarding.
Buying lift chairs does naturally put a little pressure on you to make the right decision, but this can actively encourage you to pay more considerable attention, leading to the best selection for the immediate and long-term requirements.
Lift Chair Purchases – The Pros
- Only you will have used it, meaning that it will contour to suit your body shape and weight.
- The model can include the features and customizable elements that are right for you.
- You can manage the situation with greater ease thanks to paying a set cost.
- Control over when and how it is used while also having the option to sell it on if needed.
- You’ll have no worries about potential damages or the threat of a recall.
Lift Chair Purchases – The Cons
- The initial outlay can be hard to find, although the right seller will offer repayment plans.
- If you make a wrong purchase, you’re stuck with it – or need to sell at a loss.
- You will be responsible for organizing and paying for any repairs or upgrades.
- Depending on the model and customization, there may be a small delay before delivery – although not always.
- If you move home or decorate, you’ll have to take the look of the property into account.
So Which Solution Is Better?
The truth of the situation is that the decision between a lift chair purchase or rental will vary depending on the personal circumstances of the individual. As a general rule of thumb, though, the following table should provide clarity to the decision-making process.
If you (or a loved one) suffer from mobility issues that make it difficult to use a traditional chair comfortably, a chair lift recliner is almost certainly a significant investment.
While there are plenty of chair lift recliner stores out there, the best ones tend to focus on sales rather than rentals as this gives you the very best chance of finding a product that is tailored to your needs in every sense of the word. Frankly, that’s the only outcome you should even consider settling for.
To learn more about the best chair lift models currently on the market, call Medical Market today.